Sunday, May 10, 2009

I love to Singa - early Simon Cowell

Any person who loves cartoons should remember this lovable cartoon "I love to Sing-a" featuring a cute large-eyed Owl family.

According to youtube user bugzappers2112, "I Love to Singa depicts the story of a young owlet who wants to sing jazz, instead of the classical music that his German parents wish him to perform. The plot is a light-hearted tribute to that of Al Jolson's film The Jazz Singer.

The young owl, voiced by Tommy Bond, best known as "Butch" of the Our Gang (Little Rascals) films, is unjustly kicked out of his family's house by his disciplinarian violinist father (voiced by Billy Bletcher) after he is caught singing jazz instead of Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes to his mother (voiced by Martha Wentworth)'s reed (pump) organ accompaniment. (However she is not depicted as operating the pump pedals.) While wandering, he comes across a radio amateur contest, hosted by "Jack Bunny" (a pun on Jack Benny), and billing himself as "Owl Jolson", wins the contest, but not before his father has finally seen his son's potential and allowed him to freely sing jazz."



If you watch the video (embedded below) the judge "Jacky Bunny" reminds me of Simon Cowell.
I remember how I used to watch this when my age was still of 1 digit. I love how good old stuff get spread virally over the internet!

blog comments powered by Disqus