Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Starbucks: Coffee-for-vote and Donation-for-coffee

I recently went to Starbucks' Youtube Channel and found two videos sporting engaging and innovative ideas.

The first one is, as many US people probably know, the vote-for-free-coffee. This has gotten a lot of media attention and several positive reviews from people. A viewer even said this: "I had little respect and like for this company prior to this, this is a class act what Starbucks is doing. It's a nice gesture indeed."


The second one is Starbucks will donate 5 cents for every specially marked coffee bought in participating Starbucks locations. This is similar to a campaign Pampers did with UNICEF.


I am liking this cause-oriented marketing approach Starbucks is doing. I hope they bring it to Asia soon!

I have a theory which I'll never get to prove why Starbucks and cause-oriented marketing works. Starbucks primarily targets young professionals. Young professionals (still) espouse idealism and would want to help society. It's the perfect way for them to help in their "own small way."
blog comments powered by Disqus